Wednesday, October 26, 2005

LATE NIGHT FINAL FOCUS
In one of those moments of weary clarity, I had a final thought on the whole New Times business (see most of yesterday) and recalled the story of how LA New Times carried nothing on the attack on the World Trade Center in their issue of September 11th, 2001. Maybe the destruction in New York fell outside their formulaic editorial parameters, or maybe the attack happened too close to deadline for coverage to be cost effective. I’m not sure this is true, but I repeat it because this is a blog, not the Washington Post and it makes me viciously happy. I also wonder if New Times papers will be reporting the story below that Colonel Boylan does want over-signified.

I found this anonymous comment on the web. I post it without any of my own.
Recently, the publisher for whom I currently work told me that he had finally discovered that dirty, little secret of publishing success: pay the writers nothing. The alternative weeklies, like many industries, have done good business paying writers little or nothing. And, now, with fear as an incentive, they will be able to exploit this dirty secret in ever more-effective ways.

While reading the merger coverage, I also found myself getting extremely bored with snide cracks about tired old hippies by left-over failed-yuppie hacks. Try saying to my face, you 1960-born scumsuck.

The secret word is Unreconstructed

Or maybe Teargas


No comments: