Monday, December 12, 2005

IF YOU LOVED PENGUIN WHACKING YOU’RE GOING TO LIKE THIS (OR VICE VERSA)...
The longer you shake it, the more they scream. (sent by Rumor)
http://www.starterupsteve.com/swf/snowglobe.html

BUT SERIOUSLY, FOLKS...
I kinda made it a rule at Doc40 not to dedicate too much energy to eulogizing the dead or commemorating the death of icons, if for no other reason that my life drifts into that area of age where the RIPs become progressively more numerous. On a bad day it can seem like the Old Guard are dropping like flies, and, on a worse one, I tentatively contemplate my own mortality, even though I still secretly believe that I’m indestructible. Thus, when Munz sent over this link to a 1971 John Lennon interview with Tariq Ali and Robin Blackburn, passing it along seemed like a suitable Doc40 way to mark and remember. Back in the day, I didn’t really see eye to eye with either Ali or Blackburn. We were on the same side, and in the same raging confrontations with authority, but methods and motives were questioned in both directions. Having said this, I have to admit they did move Lennon to talk about stuff never even approached by the likes of Rolling Stone. (But that is the quaint way we talked about revolution, and don’t let anyone tell you different.)
http://www.counterpunch.org/lennon12082005.html

DEMOCRACY, WHISKEY, AND SEX
I also don’t necessarily agree with a lot of what Hooman Majd has to say but there’s some food for thought in his very lengthy observations of the Islamic world. (I also noted, in the comments that followed, a lot of Huffington Post readers were put out by the length. Cyber-attention span may be a coming problem.)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hooman-majd/jihad-vs-mcsex_b_12034.html

CRYPTIQUEThe pecking order of arrogance is not the stairway to heaven.

The secret word is Imagine

No comments: