Friday, May 05, 2006



(Left) A recent and well authenticated photo of God.

PRAYER DAY, PEOPLE
Yesterday was the National Day of Prayer, except nobody told me until 11.35 in the evening when Stephen Colbert finally clued me in. With only 25 minutes to go, I knew I had to do something. Since Krishna tends to blank me, I called Elvis on the phone, but he was watching a DVD of Patton with Nixon, and sent a message that I "should start my own fucking religion and stop bothering him with my problems." The power of prayer ain’t what it used to be.

The secret word is Devout

3 comments:

Miss Templeton said...

We had an entertaining discussion at work on the Friday before May 1, when I explained to everyone that it was Loyalty Day, as (re)declared by George W. in 2003. No-one believed me, until a quick trip to Wikipedia educated all of us that Loyalty Day had been that since the 50s under Eisenhower, who retooled the 30s incarnation of Americanization Day for the Cold War era. Either version was naturally meant to combat International Workers Day, which is meant (I suppose) to combat the religious feast of Mary that I'm sure was squatting there from the medieval Catholic calendar, which, in turn, was meant to combat the wonderfully liberating day of Maypoles and random coupling in the springtime fields that is/was Beltane.

Sumer is icumen in,
Lhude sing, cuccu!
Groweth sed and bloweth med
And springth the wude nu.
Sing, cuccu!

Mick said...

I also seem to recall, from the depths of my Cold War/Elvis Presley youth, some Pope (probably the infamous Pius the something around X or XI) tried to make 5/1 the Feast of St. Joseph the Worker, but someone pointed out that it sounded too much cannonizing Stalin, and I think the Vatican quietly dropped the whole idea.

In a related complaint, 2006 has been the worst fucking Beltane of my entire adult life and I wonder how and when the Goddess is going to make it up to me.

Anonymous said...

And now 6/6/06 is coming up so watch out!