Friday, April 06, 2007

BEARS, TO BUNS, TO BURROUGH, TO BUNNIES (AND STONED SPIDERS)

It’s Good Friday for all you Christians, right? All hammers, nails, crucifixions, and, back where I come from, things called hot cross buns that are delicious but defy description. So enjoy yourselves, right, and, come Sunday, you’ll be dealing with the theological significance of bunnies and chocolate. I wish you all joy.

For some unfathomable reason I find myself precipitated into a bout of double-plus nostalgia. Since about around the time I ingested my first chemical stimulants, I have been seeing photographs of what happens to the web-weaving abilities of spiders on various drugs, but now we have actual film.

And for no other reason that a blast from the past, here’s a showing of Uncle Bill Burroughs' classic Towers Open Fire.

The secret word is Golgotha

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, ya that clips is pure hilarity - especially so because that "hinterland whos who" thing they are making fun of is a piece of local Canadiana.

It's educational fluff you'd find tucked in when they needed filler for a couple of minutes on a Canadian station.

Usually sort of boring (even if you like nature shows) which is why this is that much funnier :)

Anonymous said...

they had hot x buns at the la brea bakery this week. they looked tasty. i didn't realize they had nostalgic significance.

Mick said...

And I suspect the buns offended no Hindus, Jews, Moslems, Sikhs, Buddhists or Odin worshiping pagans by being there.