Wednesday, May 02, 2007

WALLOW WITH EAGLES



I am in that unhappy state of being damned busy and fucking tired. No time or energy to be original, but here, to preserve continuity, is a very important philosopical statement from the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, contributed by the very excellent fidicen.

‘From somewhere deep in my memory, I heard a snatch of some half-remembered conversation between a construction worker and a bartender at a bar in Colorado. The construction man was explaining why he shouldn’t have another drink: “You can’t wallow with the pigs at night and then soar with the eagles in the morning,” he said. I thought briefly on this, then shrugged it off. My own situation was totally different, I felt. In about three hours, I was supposed to be down on the docks with my camera and tape recorder to spend another day on one of those goddamn boats. No, I thought, that geek in Colorado had it all wrong. The real problem is how to wallow with the eagles at night and then soar with the pigs in the morning.’ –Hunter S. Thompson, The Great Shark Hunt

No comments: