Tuesday, July 24, 2007

UK UNDER WATER?


We’ve had so little detailed coverage out here about the disastrous weather in the UK, I still have to get my mind around it, and any firsthand reports and impressions would be very welcome because the US media are so fucking parochial. Munz did, however send over a report that contained a chilling paragraph.

“In April 1989 Margaret Thatcher, then Prime Minister, gave her Cabinet a seminar on global warming at No 10 and one of the speakers was the scientist and green guru James Lovelock. A reporter asked him afterwards what would be the first signs of global warming. He replied: "Surprises." Asked to explain, he said: "The hurricane of October 1987 was a surprise, wasn't it? There'll be more." The floods of 2007 were a surprise as well, and if Dr Lovelock is right, there'll be more of them too. Welcome to the weather of the 21st century.”

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

BBC World News? ITV World News? PBS?

Plenty of coverage. It's all in the book if you know where to look.

Mick said...

Well, yes, I know that, but fucking America doesn't, and, further more doesn't give a toss, unless, of course, Paris Hilton was by some weird happenstance to be in Warwickshire, and then it would be the lead on Fox.

Anonymous said...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/6911778.stm

-- Perversely, I like the rain!

Anonymous said...

Having checked, I find the on-line edition of the Washington Post carried a report. The New York and LA Times didn't.

Anonymous said...

Oh BTW, nice picture but that first one isn't England ~ I think it's Australia...

-- mmmm, rain.

Mick said...

The fuck its bloody Australia, it's -- and I quote the BBC -- The Norman abbey in Tewkesbury, founded in 1087 and consecrated in 1121. Okay?

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Seems like the weather is a surprise everyday around here. And in St. John's, Newfoundland they had no snow last Christmas.

I had forgotten how long it had been since I read Lovelock and his spine-tingling theory of the environmental surprises in store for us. At the time I thought him quite right but did not expect so many surprises to have leapt out out at us in my own lifetime; and I've a ways to go yet.

Anonymous said...

No one expects surprises in their own lifetime.

Anonymous said...

The one that is Australia is the one with the lightning, shooting star and fireworks. I said "first one" because it's the first one you posted (at 01:29) and it's the one just above these comments :P

-- you know who

Mick said...

Oh, I see.

Mick said...

Actually, I though it was just a generic apocalypse. Sorry, my friend.

Anonymous said...

We all love an apocalypse!

-- so pretty!