Friday, September 21, 2007

IS THE PERUVIAN METEOR A DEAD SATELLITE?



Ready for the latest conspiracy theories in the matter of the Peruvian meteor and the unknown X-Files-class contagion that would appear to be emanating from the crater? I would also note that I have seen at least a dozen science fiction movies or read stories that have started like this -- including, of course War Of The Worlds. (Not the film version with Tom Cruise.)

“Reports from Peru now claim that more than 600 people have fallen ill after coming into contact with the "glowing rock" or having inhaled 'toxic gases' while visiting the massive 30 metre wide crater. The Peruvian Regional Health Directorate has been forced to set up medical tents near a health centre in Carancas to deal with the casualties, which most reports now claim are well above 600 people.” More

FROM THE ORIGINAL GERMAN
I had previously failed to notice that GEheimSTAdts POlizei freely translates as Homeland Security

HCB
Our pal has a piece on the movie The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford in American Heritage.

MUSIC? Fancy some Brecht/Weil by Bowie? (The end, I would add of the current Doc40 Bowie cache.) Although I do know the way to the next whisky bar.

The secret word is Mekh

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"FROM THE ORIGINAL GERMAN
I had previously failed to notice that GEheimSTAdts POlizei freely translates as Homeland Security"

Don't know much German, but that would probably mean Secret City Police. It doesn't seem to be closely related to Homeland Security.

Ajax Pickering

A Strange Lad said...

Very, very close, Ajax ... it means Secret State Police. Geheim = secret, Stadts = state. (Much of English is Teutonic in origin.)

The Gestapo served much the same functions as our new Homeland Security department. I find it frightening that the use of the word Homeland in the context it's being used in was a large part of German government conditioning in those days, and the evil we face is doing exactly the same thing. Will they enhance their power to become the equals of those that came before? Will the people let them?

Anonymous said...

iggymak said...

"Very, very close, Ajax ... it means Secret State Police. Geheim = secret, Stadts = state. (Much of English is Teutonic in origin.)"

I was under the impression that Gestapo is a contraction of Geheime Staats Polizei, and I thought the German word stadt means city, as in Darmstadt, Theresienstadt, Karl Marx Stadt etc. Perhaps everything else I've learned in 35 years of studying the NS-Zeit is wrong.

Ajax Pickering

A Strange Lad said...

No, you've not learned it wrong. My comment is wrong... in that Stadt is indeed City, but the elite political police were Staats, which is State. Their name's always stuck in my head, because it just sounds as evil as they were, you know? I always call Staties that. I should've noted that it had been spelled incorrectly and caught myself before I wrote that, but, I've been... let's just say overwhelmed and not quite myself for a few days now... things have been coming out wrong at an uncomfortable rate. Anyway, apologies and on a lighter note, I love the super long words they have that would be a sentence in English. Strange. Monty Python did a bit on it. I've always gotten a right good giggle out of "bustenhalter." Cracks me up every time. Peace.