Monday, May 12, 2008

BACK IN THE GROVE, BACK IN THE DAY

A few years ago, I started working on a compilation CD project that was intended to showcase the best and most bestial bands that came out of my old neighborhood – London’s notorious Ladbroke Grove – during its pre-gentrification heyday between the psychedelic late 1960s and the punk rock of the late 1970s. Sadly, before the collection could be completed, my contact at Sanctuary moved on and the idea was shelved. I thought that was the end of one more cunning scheme that never quite took flight, but, as luck would have it, our old pal Nigel Cross breathed new life into the concept, and it has now come to fruition in the form of a double CD titled Cries from the Midnight Circus – Ladbroke Grove 1967-78, and includes tracks by, among others, the Pink Fairies, Hawkwind, the Pretty Things, Sam Gopal, Mick Farren and the Deviants, Tomorrow, Motorhead, Mighty Baby, High Tide, the Action and Misunderstood, Steamhammer, Cochise, Bob Calvert, the redoubtable Michael Moorcock, and many, many more.

A glowing review can be found on Phil McMullen’s Terrascope Online – plus a link to Nigel’s excellent booklet notes – and, if that wasn’t enough, Nigel emailed me that the 2CD set had been nominated for best compilation album for the 2008 Mojo Awards. Ain’t we the business?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I know Ladbroke Grove is a real place,but it's still hard to think of it that way after all the stories by you and Michael Moorcock I have read.This CD, which I just ordered, isn't going to help. It will just reinforce the Ladbroke Grove of the mind.

Anonymous said...

but ain't that all that really is? Or does space really exist outside our minds? Ain't Farren's and Moorcock's memoirs also the place in their minds and not the actual physical location?

Could you spear me a few quid so I can go get wasted?


MH

Mick said...

"Could you spear me a few quid so I can go get wasted?"

Now that's the Grove I remember.

(Not for nothing was there a t-shirt that read "Lemmy a quid 'til Friday."

Unknown said...

Hell I'll stand you both a few rounds of whatever if you can introduce me to a good 'supplier'