Monday, June 02, 2008

I OWE BO



So many epitaphs as the shadows lengthen. I grew up on Bo. The beat fascinated me in the way that it took no prisoners. It was always there, a launch platform to anything you wanted it to be. It was the foundation of PTOOFF! It was the reason for Mona, and while we were recording Mona, Paul the cello player hipped me to how the same rhythm was totally replicated for a few measures in one of the Bartok string quartets, (I forget which one off hand, you gotta go look for it) written at the dawn of the 20th century. The beat talked of Detroit steel cars and heavy industry, and endless highway, and thus it became background for demented poetry in Tijuana Bible’s “Memphis Psychosis.” Bo is gone, my sisters and brothers, but -- it’s mercifully trite but the truth all the same -- the beat goes on. (Whip it out Cher.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the carnivorous circus has finally caught up with the road runner.

here's one for the metaphysical highway:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qs8FJergjas


amen,
MH

Unknown said...

We all owe Bo even us non-musicians. I was only lucky enough to see him live once back in 1970 at the collage I was attending. There was a sparse crowed but Bo still put on an amazing show. It was then I realized just how many of my favorite sings were his.

The beat does still go on and always will.

Ron Kane said...

Nice! A real Transatlantic copy!

Anonymous said...

Bo diddly-Diddley, May his soul rest in heaven.