Saturday, July 05, 2008

JUST AS I THOUGHT I WAS OUT OF THE DOOMSDAY RACKET...



It’s pure Michael Corleone. “Just as I thought I was out…etc.” I mean, I thought I’d closed the file on the End of the World (as we know it or otherwise) but then Sabrina sent me this item about the Large Hadron Collider in France, and how it might create black holes that would eat the planet (although Stephen Hawking says it isn’t so.)

"MEYRIN, Switzerland (June 29) - The most powerful atom-smasher ever built could make some bizarre discoveries, such as invisible matter or extra dimensions in space, after it is switched on in August. But some critics fear the Large Hadron Collider could exceed physicists' wildest conjectures: Will it spawn a black hole that could swallow Earth? Or spit out particles that could turn the planet into a hot dead clump?" (Click for full story)

The secret word is Quark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, if Earth is swallowed by a black hole that would eliminate the potential for a zombie invasion.

Oh wait...my bad. That's already happening.