Sunday, July 27, 2008

SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY WITH BERGMAN BLOODY BERGMAN


The day is not exactly hot, but jungle humidity rests heavy on a slight hangover and no cigarettes, enough to make me wonder if the world already ended and no one told me. But the really irksome factor is that, even with five hundred channels of TV, I still find myself watching Bergman’s Seventh Seal by default, and wondering why, as the dog days approach, every movie on offer has been infinitely recycled, and the History Channel runs a Monster Quest marathon. Why do the powers that be think no one stares down the tube in July and August? Oh, for the good lord’s sake, bring back Deadwood on a Sunday night.

The secret word is Tedium

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ay-men to that!

Benjamin Owens said...

Get yourself some video games to play, they tend to be a far more reliable entertainment medium than the avid television broadcast [in my opinion]. GTA IV sold $300 million on day one for a reason...

Mick said...

But I use the TV to park my brain when I'm not using it. I don't want to interact with yet another screen. (Plus I decided video games weren't for me in the era of Missile Command. I didn't have the thumbs for it.)

Benjamin Owens said...

If video games aren't going to work for brain-parking, I'd suggest cartoons... [adult swim] is probably one of the better blocks of television that I can actually think of [it's on cartoon network late at night]. Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Metalocalypse, Assy McGee, Robot Chicken, all wonderful distractions to myself.

On another note, video games tend to require a bit more than just the thumbs these days, the index & middle fingers are often involved & now that motion sensitivity has been introduced one might actually move their entire arm for a change [wii-fit tends to get one moving most of their body]... point taken nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

death to videodrome. long live the new flesh!

hipspinster said...

robot chicken rules.

Anonymous said...

Whip crack away, whip crack away, whip crack away.

Ah those Saturday mornings and Children's Hour.

Such an abiding influence.