Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A COKE CONFESSION



No, this is not any tall tale of Peruvian paranoia powder, but actually about my lifelong addiction to Coca-Cola. (I guess it’s one of those things that float through the mind in this weird lull between the Obama election and the End of Civilization As We Know it, and as LA is once again, almost tediously, on fire.) Some recent posters of comments on Doc40 seemed to find this either distasteful or wholly unbelievable, but it is the truth and I refuse to succumb to shame, especially as others seem to share and understand my supposedly imperialist weakness.
I met my first Coke in England when I was somewhere around the age of four. My mother and a friend had taken the tiny Michael to a somewhat smart restaurant, and, by a process that I don’t really recall, I found myself looking at a tall glass of brown sparkling liquid with ice and a slice of lemon. Much of this may be clouded by memory distortion My first though was “wow, I’m getting a cocktail of my very own”, and then I tasted the thing and that was it. That first Coke was infinitely superior to the weird domestic soda-pops like Tizer, Vimto, ginger beer, or dandelion & burdock. I became a lifelong slave to the Bottlers of Atlanta, and totally understood how precise the commercial was that made reference to “an ice cold coke on the back of my throat.”
Not that just any Coke would do. Forget your plastic two-liter bottles. Coca-Cola should come super-chilled in the traditional waisted bottle, with a tightly sealed crown cap. The only other acceptable Coke delivery system is from a commercial spigot machine with the refrigeration and CO2 turned way up, and the syrup tuned down. I discover this as a teenager when I worked at London Zoo as a fry cook and frequently stumbled into work flying sideways from the previous night’s dose of blue or yellow mod pills.
Thus, to make a long story bearable, the ideal hangover cure has always been a Coke with the taste dulled by extreme cold and the caffeine forced into my system by the maximum possible carbonation. Around the same time, I was clued into the joys of Coke and alcohol by Fidel Castro (the Cuba Libre) and The Beatles (scotch and coke), but that's a whole other story that concludes with why I like to drink Jack Daniels and Coke on airplanes.


And now for some trivia from Wikipedia…
"In the United States, Stepan Company is the only manufacturing plant authorized by the Federal Government to import and process the coca plant. Stepan laboratory in Maywood, New Jersey, is the nation's only legal commercial importer of coca leaves, which it obtains mainly from Peru and, to a lesser extent, Bolivia. Besides producing the coca flavoring agent for Coca Cola, Stepan Company extracts cocaine from the coca leaves, which it sells to Mallinckrodt, a St. Louis, Missouri pharmaceutical manufacturer that is the only company in the United States licensed to purify cocaine for medicinal use."

The secret word is Better

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any chance we can get the airplane Jack & Coke story? Jack and Coke is pretty much my hard drink of choice (unless you count whisky shots with beer).

Unknown said...

You need to get the Heche in Mexico Cokes from Smart & Final. They are in glass bottles with a proper cap and use SUGAR not corn syrup. The best cokes I have ever had.

Mick said...

It don't really know why I drink Jack and Coke on planes. It just seems instinctively right. I don't much like flying (except it beats walking or a wagon train.) Hurtling at 500 mph in a tin can is kinda unnatural. I can't sleep on planes and like to read or watch movies. I guess the Jack takes the edge off while the Coke adds caffeine and also rehydrates in planes with no humidity control. On the ground, I too order a Jack and a beer back.

Mick said...

I will get myself to Smart and Final

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of the Coke packaged in the aluminum can; chilled to the edge of developing ice crystals.

The plastic bottles suck. The Coke just doesn't taste "right".

Leftcoastcat said...

I too am a fan of real cane sugar Mexican Coke. The corn syrup in American coke ruins the clean taste and finish I find. The Mexican bottles are suitably old school as well, that green tinge glass just adds the right retro-ness.

Jack is nice, but a straight rye whiskey with a lager back is my personal favourite.

Benjamin Owens said...

The best soda pop on the face of the planet is Faygo, specifically the Rock-n-Rye flavor... tastes like liquid cotton candy.

As per my experience with mixing liquor & soda... take a sprite, some grape koolaid & some good quality vodka & you've got a drink that when mixed properly, tastes like grape bubbleyum bubble gum.

Anonymous said...

<_<
>_>

I do cocaine...

>_<