Saturday, November 22, 2008

SURREAL SATURDAY

















Our pal Doug the Bass sent over the following note and a culturally alarming link to pictures of Abba-era Swedish dance bands that have to be seen to be believed. “OK, my friend Chrissy Shefts sent me this link. No wonder why ABBA never broke big in the States. Truly hilarious and frightening...” Maybe this is why death metal is now so popular up in the fiords. And doubtless the Republicans (if we had any) would point out that all this retro-scand is, in fact, a symptom of the hell that is created by the satanic horror of socialized health care. (But then ask them to find Sweden on a map.)

The secret hyphenation is Bork-Bork

6 comments:

what.i.actually.think said...

Creepy...

Meanwhile, I look at all those mullets & wonder, why didn't the world end in the 1980's?

Anonymous said...

Maybe it did and all this is just an illusion.

Anonymous said...

they're awful, and i hate to defend abba's reputation ... but back in the day they had 14 top 40 hits in the u.s., and four of their albums were in the top 20 here (76-80). when i was a kid, you couldn't escape hearing their crap on the radio (hello, "dancing queen"? eyaaah!). (and don't even get me started about the frickin' modern-day musical.)

it didn't turn me toward death metal, but def helped send me fleeing into the arms of punk rock.

Gerin said...

"a symptom of the hell that is created by the satanic horror of socialized health care."

Yeah, I wish that kind of hell to everyone who's sick.
Not sick of dumb death metal or Abba-s but really sick.

"(But then ask them to find Sweden on a map.)"
One of them came with mega-cruiser to Dubrovnik port and she asked me after other questions:
"... and where is Poland ?"
"Oh, lady, it's behind the hill."
"Really, great! And I'm goin' to visit Medjugorje sanctuary in Bosnia, are they still fighting there?"
"No, they stopped yesterday
because of a soccer match but you don't need to go see Marie Virgin, she's gone!"
"Oh my God, why, I came to see her! What to do now?
"Don't worry, instead you can watch Abba tonight in the hotel Palace but the first tables with Dom Perignon included are much more expensive than Virgin Marie! Anyway, your next stop is Venecia, they'll tell you (sell you!) more about everything.
"Wow, is that THE Abba (when I was young), let's go!

Anonymous said...

The WV is abliedo.

A Strange Lad said...

I anticipate being wrenched awake screaming from nightmare visions of Teddy Boys...