Friday, May 01, 2009

YESTERDAY...


“I found these rather fantastic photographs from Google’s Life magazine collection. They feature some teenagers at a ‘rave’ on Eel Pie Island at Twickenham on a Wednesday night August 31 1960. There is practically no other information other than the photographs were taken by a Peter Hall (I’m presuming not the theatre impresario who became Sir Peter Hall).”

When I saw the above (and the below) on the excellent Nickel In The Machine site, I suffered a definite pang. 1960 was in my first year in art school, I was a precocious 16 year-old junior beatnik, and such as these were the first girls I ever lusted after. They seem a little more self-invented than today, but, otherwise, what has really changed, except time has long-gone moved on and taken from me the glory of youth?

The secret word is Lost

The message is 5768656e20746865206d75736963e2809973206f
7665722c207475726e206f757420746865206c69
6768742e

4 comments:

Lyle Hopwood said...

Is that you sitting beside them, Mick, reeling from the nicotine hit of your first cigarette?

Actually, something has changed since then. They don't make women with those curves any more, at least not in quantity. How did they have such a small waist and large hips/bust? Must have been rationing or whale meat or National Service or whatever it was people had in those days. :)

WV is "sessed" which adequately sums up my mood this Friday evening.

Mick said...

I anticipating some would ask me that. Indeed it is not me. I far more skeletal and interesting, and already growing the hair. And, oh yeah, I started smoking cigarettes when I was 12.

Dick Headley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dick Headley said...

Strewth, I'm pretty sure I shared a sleeping bag with the blonde one on the Aldermaston March.