Friday, June 05, 2009

WHAT'S REAL AND WHAT IS NOT


Since I’ve never been exactly in the habit of taking vacations – I always figured, to do that, one had to be gainfully employed in the first place – I have been looking through the windshield of this mythic but quite actual Doc40 road trip with some fascination. The world seems a much calmer and more organic place away from the 24-hour news cycle and the manufactured crisis-de-jour, although this is not to say that the world of Barack Obama, Gordon Brown, and the Taliban is any the less real. It’s just that – when not caught in the immediate ebb and flow – it tends to recede and not so constantly and so petulantly demand my attention and emotional involvement. I know I will return to media perdition, but it feels so damn good to be away from it. (Pic from Valerie.)

The secret word is Relax

Koko Taylor – RIP
David Carradine -- RIP

2 comments:

Ben Coleman said...

I empathise. 3 weeks ago I was on a peninsula with nothing on it but 3 seagullls, this morning I'm glued to Egypt speeches and the as-it-happens UK local elections results map. I need to go and frolic in a field at some point to restore my perspective.
Still, a little musical road trip this weekend should clear my vision, or at the very least blur it in a different way.

Mick said...

Maybe the best we can seek is a different blur.