Thursday, November 05, 2009

AVATAR? (No thanks, I’m trying to give them up.)












Up to now I’ve been ignoring it, but, as someone who has the TV perpetually mumbling on the other side of the room, I have now watched a few commercials for James Cameron’s upcoming megaflick Avatar, and they were sufficiently compelling to send me to IMDb to watch the trailers. I don’t have any overflowing sympathy for corporate franchise movies that cost more than the GNP of multiple third world nations. On the other hand, it sure looks like something important. I detect ideas that were mooted in Aliens that seem to have been brought to advanced resolution. And is this a whole new generation of CGI I see before me? It’s been a while since the LOTR trilogy and I’d like to have a massive epic movie to make me an eleven-year old once again. I just hope it’s not a crushing disappointment. Click here for trailers.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your cool points just dropped by 1.

Mick said...

Oh no! I devasted.

x_S said...

Cool points? What? Are we suddenly back in the 1990's? Is a Simpsons sing-along song going to top the charts? Is radio somehow relevant again?

2 EXP to your geek-cred, Farren.

Anonymous, go put on your Vendetta mask & protest something... 4chan is waiting.

jnanagarbha said...

I hope Roger Dean got some serious dosh for this - otherwise he should sue.

And on the cool front - I wouldn't have bothered watching the trailer if it wasn't for your encouragement. Still not that enthusiastic, but it might be fun.

Your driver said...

Saw the first trailer in a theater and was unimpressed, but the second trailer makes it look a little more interesting.
Old Guy Alert-
CGI has ruined Science Fiction for me. I used to read books and have incredible fun picturing this stuff. Now it's been sorted out down to the tiniest little pixel. Dullsville. My imagination kept throwing up new and different pictures of what things looked like. Now it's all set. THIS is what it looks like. Stop all of that damn thinking.

Mick said...

I know what you mean. But hasn't this been so since Star Wars, or even Flash Gordon. When I'm in a positive mood, I feel the movies can only serve to push writers to dream up scenes and scenarios that simply can't be seen on a cinema or TV screen.

Your driver said...

Hope that's true. I've been reading SF by women, queer folk and non white people. Mostly, now that I think of it, because the CGI stuff is still like a Heinlien novel, almost all whitebread or people who act whitebread. If you haven't read her, check out Nalo Hopkinson.

stu said...

that`s the same arguement about music vids,when i was a kid i used to stick my headphones on & go off on one(panic in detroit was particularly good for this)but now,once you`ve seen the vid..

Mick said...

On thinking it over, the pre-suggestion of visuals even works for book covers. Robert E. Howard's writing was at best mediocre, but it totally came alive after you'd seen those Frank Frazetta Conan covers.