Thursday, February 25, 2010

SET THE CONTROLS FOR THE HEART OF NEXT TUESDAY




















This something of a test of the new Blogger editor on which these posts are composed. Shaking it down here, Captain. In the case of Blogger they did at least give me the option of keeping the old one, but, being a progressive Virgo, and knowing that learning new stuff is the best hedge against senilty, I decided to go with the progress stream, or at least the stream to what some corporate designer thinks is to a slicker layout. Blogger is, however, the exception. Too many programmes with which I’m forced to interact just update themselves without checking in with me or asking for any kind of by your leave, and, all too often the modifications do not actually improve the process, they just inconvenience me with a lot of crap I neither want nor need, and would be much happier to be without. (And don’t even talk about fucking Facebook.) Also small functions that I’ve highly useful are now and then actually removed because some asshole has a better idea, but leaves me to figure out how the better idea works, because – heaven forbid – no one issues set of instructions with these fucking updates. Weird glitches also seem to occure when updating runs rife. Cookies seem to crumble. Some programs even start to demand money, and get pissed when I ignore them. Blogger may have given me a new editor, but, at the same time, my settings mysteriously changed, and comments now no longer recognises me as the site author and refuses to display my crow avatar. I ask myself if this is a kind of cyber entropy, but reassure myself (which is not easy for even a progressive Virgo) that, in the fullness of time, and as reality flows under the bridge, it will all sort itself out and return to some vague semblence of robot normality.

No comments: