Sunday, May 16, 2010

SUNDAY BREAKFAST – MOTHS IN THE GRITS















Today we found moths in the grits. Until today I’d hardly remembered a packet of grits lurked in the back of a kitchen cupboard, and I still don’t recall what ancient and bizarre, Scarlett O’Hara, southern-fried culinary adventure occasioned their purchase. Up until the discovery, I’d only know that inexplicable squadrons of tiny moths had recently been flitting around the apartment in ever increasing numbers, and that Finn the cat was learning to slaughter them with great dexterity. I had been puzzled from whence the moths might have originated and, as their numbers increased, I fretted occasionally that they might eat my clothes. The process of kitchen archeology by which the venerable packet of grits came to be opened is too tediously complex to recount here. Sufice to say that it was, and a tiny, but highly-organized moth colony was discovered well on the way to self-determination and possible annexation. The box of grits was dispatched from the balcony with non-lethal Buddhist respect, but then set on by hungry Hollywood sparrows (who are much the same as Cockney sparrows except they have agents and better tans.) The Doc40 household now hopes the moth population will disperse, cat will come down from DEFCON 1, and equanimity will be restored.

Click here for Lonnie Donegan

The secret word is Lepidoptera

4 comments:

Pepsi said...

Are you trying to be some hipster James Thurber?

Anonymous said...

Lonnie Donegan. Fucking brilliant!

Lyle Hopwood said...

Had the same experience myself. Many years ago, I went to the boyfriends place (which contained only boys) and pointed out the trail of moths on the kitchen ceiling. They hadn't noticed. We tracked them back to a bag of cereal.

I shouldn't boast as I got a bag of flour out of the pantry yesterday to make pancakes and there was at least one chrysalis in there. But hey, extra protein. I sifted it and made the pancakes anyway.

Peter D K said...

So the cat went to all that trouble to cultivate a colony of entertaining and tasty prey and you just threw the whole thing away? Feh...