Friday, July 30, 2010

HE WAS A TEXAS JEWBOY













And what better way to follow Space Nazis than with a link to our pal Munz’s remembrances of his days as a sideman with Kinky Friedman…

“My first live sighting of Richard "Kinky" "Big Dick" Friedman was at Max's Kansas City in New York in 1973. He was headlining Upstairs at Max's with his band the Texas Jewboys and I was an 18-year-old hometown Jewish country singer who revered both Hank Williams and Lenny Bruce. Kinky and I were a match made in purgatory. It would've been heaven had it not been for the opening act, an unknown named Billy Joel.” (Click here for the whole thing and also details of how the two of them will be playing McCabes in LA tomorrow.)

Click here for Kinky

1 comment:

M. Bouffant said...

Dep't. of :Me Too!" (sort of):

Met the Kinkster at the Troub in '74 (I think, or '75) turned out he's from the same town in Texas my father was from.

And he introduced me to Waylon Jennings & Jessi Colter, who were sitting quietly in the teeny Troub bar.