Thursday, September 02, 2010

I HAVE NOT, OF LATE, BEEN READY FOR AN ALIEN INVASION




















For the last few days there have been no posts on Doc40. When confronted with even my own demands to continue I have only stared blankly at a choice of screens. You don’t need me to tell you that Glenn Beck is both a fool and a danger, deep drilling new depths of American stupidity, or that the city of New Orleans is still a mess and a disgrace fives years after, or that Pakistan is in unsurpassed and unimaginable breakdown. I have been in what Wordsworth called “vacant or pensive mood”, coupled with an amazing and immobilizing weariness from the internal demands of all that I continually convince myself I have to do or die, and the external strains of summer in the city in this 21st century, as too many around me seem in the grip of a madness even more damaging than my own. When I measure myself the sanest motherfucker in the valley, I have to believe that said valley is in trouble. And thus when I saw this image posted by our fabulous pals at World of Wonder, I knew I had to gather my wits and strap on my guns again, because, if the alien invasion is coming – and I truly hope it is – I not only have to take notice but decide what side I’m on.

The secret word is Stress

3 comments:

stu said...

you need a break chief.

Dick Headley said...

Sounds like time for an appointment with Dr. Rick.

Matthew Maurice said...

Happy Birthday, Mick!