Sunday, August 28, 2011

SUNDAY BREAKFAST

No, my friends, I am not drinking Tang on the moon this Sunday, although, in some respects I’m fascinating close. If we extend the NASA metaphor, I guess you could say I was flat on my back, strapped down in the command module, as the countdown comes closer to ignition, lift-off, and that Atlas blast of acceleration to escape velocity. The band that constitutes The Deviants Last Stand is on the pad. We are seriously seeking selected shows all over this land. Meanwhile I have a reading next week, a poetry collection I need to get into print, and much more fact and fiction to keep me pounding at the keyboard. No to mention what’s laughing called civilization is clearly coming apart at the seams. As I write this NYC is in hiding from a hurricane. And while not wanting to actively talk about my private life, it seems to have a taken a turn for the totally who’d-have-though-it, and I’m no longer buying into the concept that I’m better equipped to write the good fight when fucked up and miserable. Like Jim said, “Summer’s almost gone.” It’s time to reap the mists and mellow fruitfulness of fall and take ownership of the night that will be drawing in. (For our younger readers, Tang – a powdered orange drink – was taken to the moon by NASA’s Apollo astronauts back when we still dreamed of infinity.)

Click here for Elvis (I mean, who else?)

The secret word is Rising

8 comments:

Aleleeinn said...

All I can say Mick is "Do not go gentle into that good night, Rage! Rage! against the failing of the light." Or your never too old to rock and roll.

You may be going to hell in a bucket, but enjoy the ride.

How that for an eclectic set of references.

Mick said...

Pretty fucking eclectic, my friend.

Aleleeinn said...

All I will say: barring quote from Nietzsche, Sartre, or that guy on the corner holding an ongoing conversation with GOD: is I plan to be found dead in the pit after a particularly loud, long, and aggressive show at age 121 (eleven squared seems like a good number). If I can't make the age I still plan on making the show.

Alan Burridge said...

For a Deviants gig in the Bournemouth area, try Mr Kyps www.mrkyps.net

Anonymous said...

I do believe that love has found Mick Farren.

Pepsi said...

At his age?

Anonymous said...

Love in the Nick of Time -- Bonnie Raidt

Good on ya, Mick!

Maggie M'Gill said...

How splendid that Farren seems to have found lurrv (comes when you least expect it!). Greatly amusing, but in a good way.