Sunday, December 09, 2012

SUNDAY BREAKFAST










Our slimy, bungling, bought-and-paid-for old-Etonian Prime Minister has decided that the plebs are drinking too much – which seems hardly surprising in the foul and uncertain midst of the entire austerity movement of which he is a graspingly enthusiastic supporter. He means to put a stop to all this proletariat drunkenness by raising the price of booze. The BBC tells us…

The government is proposing a minimum price of 40p per unit of alcohol in England and Wales in an effort to "turn the tide" against binge drinking.It believes this could transform the behaviour of those who cause the most problems for hospitals and police. It also plans to "end the notion that drinking is an unqualified right by piloting sobriety schemes for those people whose offending is linked to excessive alcohol consumption", says the strategy document." (Click here for the rest of the sorry story.)

Which essentially means the rich are fucking the poor yet again and they won’t even have the courtesy of getting us drunk first. Which in turn reminds me of the old Paddy Ryan song…

I am the man, the very fat man,
That waters the workers' beer
I am the man, the very fat man,
That waters the workers' beer
And what do I care if it makes them ill,
If it makes them terribly queer
I've a car, a yacht, and an aeroplane,
And I waters the workers' beer

Now when I waters the workers' beer,
I puts in strychnine
Some methylated spirits,
And a can of kerosene
Ah, but such a brew so terribly strong,
It would make them terribly queer
So I reaches my hand for the watering-can
And I waters the workers' beer

Now a drop of good beer is good for a man
When he's tired, thirsty and hot
And I sometimes have a drop myself,
From a very special pot
For a strong and healthy working class
Is the thing that I most fear
So I reaches my hand for the watering-can
And I waters the workers' beer

Now ladies fair, beyond compare,
Be you maiden or wife
Spare a thought for such a man
Who leads such a lonely life
For the water rates are frightfully high,
And the meths is terribly dear
And there ain't the profit there used to be
In watering the workers' beer

Click here for me

The secret word is Bottle

Huw Lloyd Langton – RIP
Sir Patrick Moore – RIP

7 comments:

jwb said...

All markets are free but some markets are more free than others. What amazes me is that we put up with all this stuff, all these lies, day in day out and trudge on. For once those Floyd types had it right - 'quiet desperation'.

Fred said...

I think it was Thoreau who said, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

I suspect the real reason has more to do with "revenue enhancement" than with any real urge to stop binge drinking. If people stopped drinking, then the tax revenues would drop and budget shortfalls would increase.

Johnny Haddo said...

..it's the mirror of madness m8 ..the establishment is riddled with insanity..most Tories are recruited from Eton Collage, a nut house, in all but name..wot's new..??

jwb said...

'Eton Collage' - good typo - I can now see them all flattened and glued in interesting patterns across the crumbling walls of their establishment.

Johnny Haddo said...

hahaHa..sorry m8, finger slipped..Eton College was founded by King Henry V1, a real looney-toon, if ever there was one..just goes to show once a nut house, always a nut house..must be something in the water_

Mr jones said...

Whether witnessing the sons and daughters of our glorious leaders hooraying it up at one of their obscurely named commemorations of who-the-fuck-knows-what, or the enduring sight of the weekly violent vomiting excesses of the dispossessed 99%, it's difficult to get unduly upset at the thought of the route to either unedifying spectacle costing a bit more to travel down.
Just wait until the posh boys start taxing the better drugs, then you'll really have something to bitch about.

Johnny Haddo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.